Articles in this section
- How to Setup a Webhook for Iterable
- Marketo- Creating a Webhook to send data to SUPPRESS
- How to View Campaigns a Specific Affiliate is Running in a Network Account
- Insights - Suppressions Compliance Overview
- How to Add an OPTIZMO Managed Domain or Dedicated IP to Your SUPPRESS Account
- How to Remove an Import from a Opt-Out List
- How do I View the Activity of an Opt-Out List?
- How do I View the Activity of a Campaign?
- How do I View the Activity of a Mailer?
- How to Create a Mailer
Automating updates to suppression files stored in your SUPPRESS account.
Transfers are available in all types of SUPPRESS service plans, Advertiser accounts (Basic or Enterprise) or Network/Agency accounts. There are two types of transfers - a Grab (import) or a Send (export). Used to automatically sync SUPPRESS stored lists with 3rd party systems where email lists are stored; usually an Email Service Provider (ESP - deployment systems such as ExactTarget, SendGrid or Constant Contact) or other list hosting solution being used by your internal team. These file exchanges are created through utilizing an SFTP or FTP site as an intermediary gateway in which the two platforms can drop and pick up files. A Grab may also connect to a static HTTP link where the file download is initiated immediately upon hitting that page.
First, some information you’ll want to gather from your internal list managers, the ESP (Email Service Provider) where your email lists are stored or whomever is hosting and managing the lists you want imported to SUPPRESS in an automated fashion. Gathering this prior to attempting to create a transfer will greatly help you along the way. The below applies to both Grabs and Sends.
Six questions to ask your ESP or list manager:
- Where are our lists currently stored?
- Can our lists stored in your system be dropped or picked up in an automated fashion to/from an SFTP site?
- Does our ESP or internal team have an SFTP site we can use or does SUPPRESS need to provide one? (SUPPRESS will create, host and manage an SFTP site for an additional monthly fee of $50 USD.)
- At what frequency can the file be dropped/picked up (i.e. daily or weekly)?
- Can the file be exported/imported in a .csv or .txt format, with one column of emails (.csv) or one address per line (.txt)? Zipped or unzipped is acceptable. *Note that SUPPRESS will always send a .txt file.
- Do we want to grab/send only new emails added to the list each day (Deltas), or do a full file refresh? (See date variable info below if choosing to send or grab Deltas).
- Can I create webhooks using a URL from another system to trigger a real-time send of records form your system to there?
General info about acceptable file type and format:
- Multiple fields in a .csv are fine, as long as there is only one column containing emails. SUPPRESS can intuitively determine what column has the emails in it, and import only that data. Other delimiters can be accepted as well (pipe, tab, etc.), just ask OPTIZMO support about what your ESP/Internal Team wishes to use.
- The file may be PGP encrypted (for grabs only) and we will provide our IP block for whitelisting by your ESP whose server we need to access. Our public PGP key and IP details are available upon request for IP whitelisting and full-file encryption.
- Date variables may be used to tell the system what file to grab each day. A sample file naming convention, which SUPPRESS would be able to recognize and import successfully, can be seen below.
Date variables are not required, however, NOT using them means we will only be able to process a full file refresh each day. See below for a little more info on what they would look like:
Using Date Variables
All date variables must be inserted in double square brackets, [[<string>]]
YYYY= Four digit Year (eg. 2010)
YY= Two digit Year (eg. 10)
MM= Two digit Month (eg. 03)
DD= Two digit Day (eg. 24)
Example: myfile-[[YYYYMMDD]].csv = myfile-20100324.csv
Create a Transfer
Please refer to the About Transfers article prior to beginning here. Transfers relate to any single specific list in your account and you may create as many as needed per file**. Transfers are most frequently created utilizing an SFTP site as the intermediary gateway for SUPPRESS to exchange files with another platform. There are two types of Transfer - Grab and Send. A Grab is an import to the list stored in SUPPRESS and a Send is moving the file from SUPPRESS to the SFTP site for another system to pick up. We can also use a regular FTP site or, for Grabbing only, we can connect to a static HTTP link where the file download is initialized immediately upon pinging the link.
**Note that Grouped Lists can only be SENT. Since a Grouped List it is made up of multiple Standard Lists, in a Grab import, the system would have no way to tell which individual Standard List the import would need to direct to. You’d simply set up the Grab within one of the Standard Lists that makes up the Grouping.
- Click the Opt-Out Lists tab on the navigation bar. (For Network/Agency accounts, hover over the Advertisers tab on the navigation bar and click on View All Opt-Out Lists. Then find the list you wish to work with.)
- Next, hover over the name of the Opt-Out List and click the Transfers link from the sub-menu that pops up.
- Click Create a Transfer to setup a transfer for the specific list.
- Choose the Grab List or Send List tab and provide a name in the Transfer Name field while selecting the days in which you want the transfer to run. You may also choose the time to execute the transfer and provide an email (Notification Emails) of the person whom we should notify if anything goes wrong (i.e. Server not connecting or a connection timeout.) ***The Expiry and Notes section are optional. Also, Notes are for internal eyes only.
- Transfer Connection Details tells SUPPRESS what destination path to send the file to or where to Grab it from. Select the proper connection from the Transfer Protocol drop down menu. Enter the Server Address which is the server IP and Port (default of 22 may be left blank). If a Username and Password is to be used on the server then SUPPRESS can intuitively log in using those credentials, however, it's not required.
- Incoming List Type is where you choose what type of file to Grab - a Suppression or Re-subscription. By selecting the Suppression List, you are choosing to import emails from a suppression list and add those to your Opt-Out List in SUPPRESS. The Re-subscriber List means those addresses grabbed will be deleted from the Opt-Out List that is in SUPPRESS. Both types of transfers can be set up within a single list and as separate transfer processes.
- Fill in the Path/Filename of the Opt-Out List. This is the directory/filename in the server within which SUPPRESS will search - to either Grab a Suppression File to import emails or send to export a Suppression File. The only real difference is that in a Grab, we can move the file we’ve collected to another directory, leave it alone or delete it entirely after import. We recommend leaving it alone for redundancy purposes unless absolutely necessary to delete it. In a Send, we can zip the .txt file we export, send dated delta files rather than the full file each time and also hash the list in MD5 if preferred. You can name the file in a Send with just about any naming convention you wish, but again, we will always export a .txt file. *Note that no matter what your Mailer Access settings are in the account, we will always send files via transfer in plain readable email addresses (Plain Text) unless you select the MD5 option here. Transferred files are also not seeded. This is why Transfers are not generally recommended for sending lists to mailers - just internal teams and ESP systems.
- Click the Create Transfer button to complete the setup and redirect back to the Opt-Out List profile page.
- If you wish to give the transfer a trial run, simply scroll down the Opt Out List profile page to the Transfers section and click on the preferred transfer name.
- Next, click on the blue Edit Profile drop down menu on the right corner of the page and select Run Transfer. Import notification emails are sent to the Notification Email upon the completion of a successful or failed transfer. If you are having difficulty resolving any issues on your own, please contact our Technical Support team through the Support link at the top of your account.
The Transfer Profile page shows you the number of emails grabbed or sent each day, the number of duplicates attempted and so forth. You may also delete or disable the transfer by clicking on the blue Edit Profile drop down menu.
Testing a Transfer
- Hover over the Opt-Out Lists tab and click the Transfers link.
- Find the name of the transfer in which you'd like to test and click on that transfer name.
- On the transfer profile page, click on the blue drop-down menu next to the Edit button.
- Select the link Run Transfers.
If your team or ESP partner has any further questions regarding the process of creating a suitable file for SUPPRESS to grab and import, or questions about what we will send back, please forward them to our technical team at email@example.com. You may also create and submit a ticket within your account using the Support link.
SUPPRESS will not de-duplicate the file itself which is being imported, however it will ensure that any addresses which already exist in the hosted list will not be added again. Therefore, if an email is on the hosted list and appears 100 times on the imported file, it will not be added. If the email is not on the hosted list and appears 100 times on the file being imported, all 100 will be added.
***Our IP block and public PGP key are available upon request.