This article will help you create new Suppression Lists in OPTIZMO. If you are using an integration with any tracking platform such as HasOffers, CAKE, or others, it's important that you refer to the help guide available for that integration by searching here in the Knowledge Base. The process is different when using an integrated system.
There are three types of lists available in OPTIZMO for your use:
- Standard List - This will be any individual list of emails you wish to store.
- Grouped List - Made up of any number of Standard Lists, creating a Grouped List which your Mailers will access. Your mailer will have no indicator that multiple files are included. A common use case here is grouping a Standard List of Opt-Outs and a Standard List of Current Customers into a Grouped Master Suppression List that is assigned to your Campaign.
- Linked List (Network Accounts only) - Allows for a list to be automatically synchronized between the Network user and an Advertiser who is also using OPTIZMO. The true "set it and forget it" way to manage Opt-Out Lists.
Creating a Standard List
- Hover over the "Opt-Out Lists tab in your main navigation bar and select Create a List. (In a Network account, first navigate to the Advertiser profile page which you need to create a list for, and within the Opt-Out Lists frame down the page, you will find a Create List button.)
- Enter the List Name, a Notification Email address, and any domains you wish to suppress (optional) in their respective fields. The Notification Email will receive import notices, and various other Alerts related to the file.
- In the Handling Opt-Outs section, you may select your preferred option from the following choices:
Redirect Users after Opt-Out - SUPPRESS will handle the Opt-Outs and then redirect the user to a URL supplied by you. This is the best option if you wish to either promote other products/services to a recipient as they opt-out or merely redirect them to your website.
Use Internal Opt-Out page - SUPPRESS will provide your user with a basic unsubscribe page and follow with a confirmation page once the opt-out request has been processed. Most Advertisers will use this option. Use 3rd Opt-Out Link - SUPPRESS will NOT generate Opt-Out Links for this list.
- If you chose either the Redirect User or Use Internal Opt Out Page option in Handling Opt-Outs, then a section will appear allowing you to customize the Opt-Out Page Styling of your Landing Page, Confirmation Page and Privacy Page. In addition, the Settings tab provides an extra function called Send Opt-Out Copy. After the user unsubscribes from our SUPPRESS system, we can send the opt-out email address to you for recording on your own system via a specified URL.
- Opt-Out List Access - you would select your preferred options, if different than your previously selected Default Setting. As an example, if your default Mailer Access Setting is MD5 Encrypted Emails, and Override Default Settings is chosen here, then you select Plain Text Download Email Format, this will set the access format as Plain Text for this Opt-Out List throughout the system.
Download Email Format:
Plain Text Emails - Mailers can see the email addresses in plain text.
MD5 Encrypted Emails - Mailers can't see the plain text version of the emails for added security. What is MD5 Encryption?
List Cleansing - The Mailer would have the option of uploading their Opt-In or Mailing list and scrubbing it against your Opt-Out List. They would then receive the new cleansed list and a list of any duplicates in the scrub.
Download Deltas - Your choice to allow Download Deltas is really determined by the size of your Suppression List. The shorter/smaller the list - the faster the download. By enabling this setting, Publishers will be permitted to download only the changes or the list of email addresses that were added since their last download, rather than have to have download the entire list again.
- If you already have a current Opt-Out List, you may upload it within the Existing List Upload section using one of the valid file format types.
- In General Settings, you have the option to Add a Custom Opt-Out Domain. If you choose to utilize this function, then enable the setting and select the Custom Domain of your choice from the drop-down menu when it appears.
- To save your settings choices, click the blue Create List button.
Creating a Grouped List
A Grouped List is made up of other Standard Lists. When the Grouped List is assigned to a Campaign for Mailers to access, SUPPRESS will seamlessly merge the selected files together into one, with no indicator to the Mailer that they have received multiple files. The grouping is "virtual" meaning it is not a tangible, stored list that counts toward your email storage figures and billing. It is simply a name you've assigned to a selection of Standard Lists, that the system can use to merge them together when the Grouped List name is queried.
All Settings choices are covered above in Creating a Standard List, except the following two new fields.
Distribution Lists - Choose the Standard Lists you wish to include in the Grouped List.
Collection Lists - Choose the Standard List(s) from your account that you want new unsubscribes to be added to, when an Opt-Out Link from any Campaign using this Grouped List is deployed. You may choose more than one list when applicable.
Creating a Linked List (Network Accounts Only)
A Linked List is an Opt-Out List that has been synchronized across multiple accounts via API, using a Mailer Access Key (MAK). This functionality is only used by Network Account holders.
When a Network user is working with Advertisers who also use SUPPRESS, the Advertiser would provide them with a MAK which they can use to "Link" the list with their own account. This creates an instant sync of the file across both accounts.
Creating a Linked List is very simple. You simply toggle on the Linked List tab in the Create a List area:
Copy the MAK you received from your Advertiser, and plug it in to this field:
That's it! All settings for Linked List are absorbed by your account from the Settings the Advertiser has in place, so you don't need to alter anything here. It's the easiest way to manage suppression for your Advertiser clients.
- If using a Tracking Platform integration, please search for the appropriate help article and create your lists with those instructions. Each one is a little different in the way they have used our API.
- Linked Lists are NOT searchable using the "Find/Delete Email" function.
- Any Global Opt-Out List above you in the files distribution chain will be added on automatically.
- You can not edit or change settings of a Linked List. So if something isn't the way you'd like it; MD5 hashing, or the way an Opt-Out Page looks for example, you will need to speak with your Advertiser about making any possible changes in their account.